Big Y Foods Upgrades Transportation Fleet With Carrier Transicold Trailer Units and eSolutions Platform; Steve Creed Details
SPRINGFIELD, MA - Big Y Foods' logistics are getting an upgrade. The New England-based chain recently introduced new trailers equipped with Carrier Transicold X4™ 7300 refrigeration units and the eSolutions™ platform for remote monitoring and control to its fleet, gaining a boon in the supply chain as it plans to replace two-thirds of its trailers.
“We have a very robust program for monitoring temperatures and conducting food safety checks,” commented Steve Creed, the Vice President of Logistics and Distribution for Big Y, on the transition. “The Carrier Transicold telematics system is an important contributor to that initiative.”
Carrier Transicold is a part of Carrier Global Corporation, a leading global provider of healthy, safe, sustainable, and intelligent building and cold chain solutions. Within Big Y’s expansive service footprint, the refrigerated trailers serve more than 70 supermarkets and 12 convenience marts throughout New England.
According to the release, Big Y has initiated its replacement process, upgrading two-thirds of its 70 refrigerated trailers through Ryder System, with Carrier Transicold of Southern New England.
Through this transition, Big Y will be able to utilize the refrigeration units and telematics support, as the eSolutions platform provides continuous visibility of Big Y’s cold chain assets via a centralized data stream that shows trailer temperatures, location, and movement. The platform also enables remote control of refrigeration units.
In addition to monitoring trailer temperature, the eSolutions platform offers the following:
- Provide notifications as trailers come and go from geofenced areas assigned to Big Y’s distribution center and key locations within its retail network
- Locate unused or underused trailer assets, including those dropped by Big Y’s third-party logistics provider at vendor partners
- Monitor trailer precooling time to minimize fuel waste
- Optimize refrigeration unit performance
- Help avoid emergency call-out situations where a refrigeration unit must be reprimed because it ran out of fuel
- Improve refrigeration unit uptime through the use of continuous analytic and diagnostic information provided about unit performance
Click here for more information on the new partnership.
Keep a tab open for AndNowUKnow as we report on the latest in all things produce, retail, and foodservice.