Produce for Kids Encourages Families to Eat Healthy with Power Your Lunchbox Pledge®
ORLANDO, FL - After two successful years, Produce for Kids is launching its third annual Power Your Lunchbox Pledge® campaign. The program encourages families across the nation to pledge to eat a healthier lunch from August 8 through September 23. The pledges can be made at PowerYourLunchbox.com, just in time for the start of the new school year.
“Back to school is a great time for families to make a healthy resolution they can carry on through the duration of the school year,” said Trish James, Vice President of Produce for Kids, according to a press release. “As a mom of two boys, I understand the challenges parents face when packing a healthy, nutritious lunch for their children and for themselves. The Power Your Lunchbox Pledge was designed to help families tackle this universal challenge.”
During the campaign, Produce for Kids will be generating a healthy lunch buzz by giving away a Bentology™ bento box each day and hosting a #PowerYourLunchbox Twitter party. Additionally, for every online pledge, lunchbox-friendly companies supporting Power Your Lunchbox Pledge will make a collective $1 donation to Feeding America® programs that support families and children. Partners supporting Power Your Lunchbox Pledge 2016 include:
- Avocados from Mexico
- Bee Sweet Citrus
- Crispy Green®
- Eat Smart®
- Earthbound Farm®
- GROW Bananas by Organics Unlimited
- Marie’s® Dressings
- Natalie’s Orchid Island Juice
- Pero Family Farms®
- Sun World®
Here are a few ways to get involved in the campaign:
- Take the pledge
- Pledge to eat healthier this school year at PowerYourLunchbox.com
- Show off healthy lunchboxes on social media
- Produce for Kids’ Instagram and Twitter followers can use the #PowerYourLunchbox hashtag to show off their healthy lunchboxes to have their lunchboxes featured on the Produce for Kids Facebook page
- Follow along on the hashtag to see great ideas from fellow parents
- Party with Produce for Kids on Twitter
- Parents looking for even more tips and resources for healthy lunchboxes are invited to join Produce for Kids and partner companies at the #PowerYourLunchbox Twitter party at 9 pm ET on August 17
Teachers and dietitians supporting the initiative can find their own dedicated resources on the website. Teachers can find fun, free nutrition-focused downloadable lesson plans, certificates for their students, take home materials for families, and classroom pledging materials. For dietitians “We Heart RDs” kits will be sent out with items such as pledge sheets, “I Pledged” stickers, lunchbox recipes, and more.
“Retail dietitians are in a position where they can support families during the back-to-school timeframe while they are in the store making decisions,” said James, according to the release. “It made sense to bring the Power Your Lunchbox message to our more than 300 retail dietitians so that they can share healthy back-to-school recipes with shoppers.”
As we previously reported, the campaign has raised more than $15,000 for kid’s health and wellness programs across the country since 2014.
For more information visit poweryourlunchbox.com.