UNFI Master Marketer Award Winners Announced
- by Lilian Diep
PROVIDENCE, RI - Brandishing the name Master is not to be taken lightly. Several of our industry-leading retailers were recently honored with the title, with United Natural Foods, Inc. (UNFI) naming the 30 category winners of its annual Master Marketer competition. In a virtual awards show broadcast on Wednesday, November 18, the company recognized best-in-class marketing efforts by independent grocery retailers served by UNFI’s wholesale distribution business.
“In a year of great change and challenges, we’re proud of how our independent grocers are continuing to make powerful connections with their customers and local communities through effective marketing and merchandising programs,” said UNFI President Chris Testa. “We’re thrilled to continue our Master Marketer awards program, albeit virtually this year, and recognize those grocers who are truly excelling at building their brand, their customer relationships, and their overall business. Congratulations to all the nominees, winners, and to Foster’s for their achievement as this year’s Grand Master Marketer recipient.”
This year, 275 marketing programs were submitted for the 2020 Master Marketer awards which are judged based on the creativity, clarity, and effectiveness of the stores’ marketing efforts. Entries were assessed by professors and grad students from St. Joe’s University, University of Wisconsin, and the University of Minnesota, according to a press release.
The full list of store winners by category is as follows:
Tier 1: Stores 30,000 square feet and smaller
- Website/Social Media: Supervalu, Warren, Arkansas
- Fresh Department: Handy Foods, Ottawa, Illinois
- Natural, Organic, Specialty: Food Bowl Market, San Diego, California
- Extra Effort Advertising: Hall's Great Valu Supermarket, Colonial Beach, Virginia
- Grand Opening/Anniversary: Bill’s IGA, Staunton, Illinois
- Industry Promotion: Babbs Supermarket, Spencer, Indiana
- Public Service/Community: Vintage Grocers, Malibu, California
- Radio Spots: Island Foods, Chincoteague, Virginia
- TV Commercials: Baesler’s Market, Sullivan, Indiana
- Tier 1 Master Marketer: Food Bowl Market, San Diego, California
Tier 2: Stores larger than 30,000 square feet
- Fresh Department: Dorothy Lane Market, Dayton, Ohio
- Natural, Organic, Specialty – Wholesome Choice, Irvine, California
- Grand Opening/Anniversary: Oakes Farms Seed to Table, Naples, Florida
- Extra Effort Advertising: Baesler's Market, Terre Haute, Indiana
- Private Brands: Lynn’s Superfoods, Hardin, Montana
- Industry Promotion: Chris Food Center, Sandstone, Minnesota
- Public Service/Community: Mackenthun’s Fine Foods, Waconia, Minnesota
- Website/Social Media: North Branch County Market, North Branch, Minnesota
- TV Commercials: Baesler’s Market, Terre Haute, Indiana
- Tier 2 Master Marketer: Oakes Farms Seed to Table, Naples, Florida
Tier 3: Store groups with five or more locations
- Website/Social Media: The Fresh Market, Greensboro, North Carolina
- Fresh Department: Myers Group Corporate, Clinton, Washington
- Natural, Organic, Specialty: Ingles Markets, Black Mountain, North Carolina
- Grand Opening/Anniversary: Coborn’s, Inc., St. Cloud, Minnesota
- Extra Effort Advertising: Foster’s, George Town, Grand Cayman
- Private Brands: Super One Foods, Duluth, Minnesota
- Industry Promotion: Karns, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Public Service/Community: Pay-Less Market Inc., Hagatna, Guam
- Radio Spots: Food Depot, Stockbridge, Georgia
- TV Commercials: CUB, Stillwater, Minnesota
- Tier 3 Master Marketer: Karns, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
In addition to the category winners, Foster’s, a family-owned and operated grocer with five stores and a distribution center on Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands, was named the 2020 Grand Master Marketer for overall consistent performance over the years.
UNFI associates were given the opportunity to vote for the first-ever Master Marketer Associate’s Choice Award. In this category, 12 nominees in the TV commercial category were given another chance at being recognized for their TV spots. Winning this category was CUB in Stillwater, Minnesota, for its “Chalk Art” TV commercial.
Click here for the full video with Paul Pliachik, Strategic Advisor, and Jeff Swanson, Vice President of Communications and Media Relations, to watch as they discuss the awards.
Congratulations to all of the leading grocers who were awarded!