Stemilt Nielsen Scan Data Shows Untapped Opportunity for Fuji Apples; Brianna Shales Comments


Sponsored Message
Learn More

Thu. April 18th, 2024 - by Anne Allen

WENATCHEE, WA - As a child, the Fuji apple was my go-to. Anytime my mother tried to buy another variety, I refused to eat it! It seems this energy for Fujis is bringing the variety back to the forefront of consumer consciousness. The best way to tap into this trend? Stemilt’s Marketing Director, Brianna Shales, breaks it down.

Brianna Shales, Marketing Director, Stemilt

“If there was a time to put Fuji apples in the spotlight, this is the year to do so!” Shales urges. “Volume is down 7 percent year over year between September 1, 2023, and February 24, 2024, with dollars down 14 percent. However, in July and August, Fuji sales have historically spiked as high as 15 percent of apple volumes and 14.8 percent of sales. Strong promotional activity will grasp consumer attention. The key is developing a robust promotion for Fuji apples during the summer months to drive more volume for the variety.”

Stemilt reported that the Fuji apples are coming out of storage in high-color strains and starches now turned to the sweet flavor consumers know and enjoy.

In July and August, Stemilt shares that Fuji sales have historically spiked as high as 15 percent of apple volumes and 14.8 percent of sales, creating a prime promotional window

To make sure that Fuji stays front and center as an apple sales driver, Shales offered this advice to retailers.

“Pushing promotions in the West Coast region is going to be crucial to the success of Fuji apples,” she notes. “One thing we’ve seen retailer success with is selling Fuji apples in 5 lb pouch bags for both conventional and organic. Bulk sales make up 54 percent of Fuji volume and the remaining 46 percent is in bags or other packages. Carrying the 5 lb bag size serves the benefit of hands-off merchandising to create an enticing display space. You can also get larger fruit sizes in a 2 lb or 3 lb bag.”

The grower reports that Fuji apples are coming out of storage in high-color strains and starches

Retailers can use Stemilt’s Artisan Organics® EZ Band for selling and promoting bulk organic Fuji apples in a sustainable pack. With Earth Day approaching on April 22, EZ Band offers a convenient, recyclable pack of apples for consumers on the go.

“Stemilt is here to help retailers get creative with Fuji apple promotions and tapping into summertime holidays including Memorial Day and the Fourth of July,” says Shales. “Our goal is to help the retailer win at the register by putting freshness, packing quality, and proper storage back into the hands of consumers so they have a delightful eating experience. Together through strong promotion and quality apples, we can sweeten up the summer apple mix to bring more consumers to Fuji apples.”

AndNowUKnow eagerly awaits watching Fuji rise!