2014 Ventura County Sustainability Exchange Recap Part 1
- by Jordan Okumura
VENTURA COUNTY, CA - The Ventura County Sustainability Exchange (VCSE), an exclusive pre-Fresh Summit event for produce industry members, was a smashing success, giving the industry a first hand look at what makes Ventura County a one-stop-shop for sustainably grown produce.
"The event was a great success for showcasing the Bounty of Ventura County,” shared Jan Berk, Vice President/COO of San Miguel Produce. “We are fortunate to live and work in a growing region that is both rich and diverse for so many different fruits and vegetables...all in one location. San Miguel was delighted to host the many prestigious retail, wholesale and foodservice operators who came to learn more about what we, and our neighbor farmers, do here. Thank you to Nikki and Sandy of Measure to Improve for helping to pull this together for us. See ya’ll in Atlanta next year!"
Some highlights from day one of this action packed two day event included:
- A mini-tour of Calavo and Limoneira's orchards, during which attendees were able to experience to companies' history and sustainability initiatives such as irrigation programs, organic mulch practices, solar fields and more.
- Talks from guest speakers including Harold Edwards, CEO of Limoneira, Ventura County Ag Commissioner, Henry Gonzales, Food Share President, Bonnie Weigel, and Supply Chain Sustainability Manager for Pro*Act, Kathleen Phillips.
- Cocktails courtesy of Nobu Mixologist Brian Leon and hors d’oeuvres made from local produce.
- Dinner catered by Plated Events' Chef Jason Collis, who cooked up specialty dishes showcasing the versatility of Ventura County produce.
- Entertainment from the renowned illusionist, Patrick Martin.
According to a press release, Measure to Improve, LLC facilitated and organized the inaugural 2014 VCSE with the help of its sponsors: Cool Planet, Agromin, Driscoll's, Houweling’s Tomatoes, San Miguel Produce, Deardorff Family Farms, Limoneira, and Calavo.
Stay tuned to AndNowUKnow for our coverage of day 2 of this the VCSE event.