ONE BANANA Announced New Distribution, Partnership, and Program for 2015
- by Andrew McDaniel
MIAMI, FL – Since its launch, ONE. The Better Banana Company has obtained distribution in several different regions including the West Coast, the Gulf Region and the Mid Atlantic.
As we previously reported, ONE BANANA is the latest venture from AgroAmerica. It is currently the only family-owned, vertically-integrated, from farm-to-store, banana company doing business in the United States where consumers are able to see bananas branded with the same company that farmed them, transported them to retailers and marketed them.
Through AgroAmerica, ONE BANANA has helped over 60,000 people in 60 different communities in Guatemala, according to a press release. The company has done this through a variety of efforts including:
- Offering 9 onsite medical clinics, staffed by full-time nurses
- Partnering with the University of Colorado and investing $2 million to build and manage a Human Development Center that offers maternity services, general medical services, pediatric and dental care, and aims to serve 5,000 families and 30,000 rural people within Guatemala
- Offering its own private school for the employees' children
- In partnership with USAID, donating 700 water filters to local communities within Guatemala since August
- Launching its Happy Families Program (a food and security parent training program created to reduce infant mortality and malnutrition) which has helped over 12,000 people
- Paying its employees a living wage and setting its own minimum salary as a company, which is higher than the minimum wage set by the government
- Donating over 375,000 bananas in 2014 to children in rural Guatemalan schools
- Creating the Local Coordinator for Disaster Reduction to support local communities in disaster preparedness
Starting in January 2015, AgroAmerica will begin a formal partnership with Water and Sanitation Health, a non-profit that helps bring clean drinking water to communities in Guatemala. Also in 2015, the company will be implementing a healthy school snack program for children.
It is always great to see companies in our industry going the extra mile to improve the lives of others. Great job, AgroAmerica!